Baek Kimchi (Korean white Non-spicy Kimchi)From oliviajasonkim 1 year ago
- •1 napa cabbage, quartered shopping list
- •2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- •1/2 Korean radish, julienned shopping list
- •2 carrots, julienned shopping list
- •1/2 pear (or apple), julienned shopping list
- •5 chestnuts, peeled and julienned shopping list
- •2, 3 Korean dates/jujubes, thinly sliced (optional) shopping list
- •1, 2 red chili peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips shopping list
- •1, 2 green chili peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips shopping list
- •1/2 cup coarse salt shopping list
- Sauce Mixture: shopping list
- •6 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- •2 tbsp ginger, minced shopping list
- •3 tbsp saewujeot (salted shrimp) shopping list
- •4 tsp brown sugar shopping list
- •2 tsp salt (kosher or sea salt) shopping list
- •3 cups water shopping list
How to make it
- 1.Rinse cabbage under running water, removing any bruised leaves or rotten sections. Cut cabbage into quarters or small bite-size pieces to save time later.
- 2.Prepare enough water to cover cabbage and dissolve with 1/2 cup of coarse salt in a large bowl. Add the cabbage chunks into the the salt water until at least partically submerged. Leave it in the salt water for minimum 12 hours (24 hours preferrably).
- 3.Meanwhile, prepare the sauce mixture by peeling and washing the radish. Cut into thin discs (mandolin works well) and then cut into matchstick pieces. Do the same with peppers and pear.
- 4.If using dates, wash them and soak for 10-15 minutes. Remove the seeds and cut into thin slices. Puree the onion, garlic, ginger, salted shrimp, and 1/2 cup of water in a food processor until smooth. Combine with all the sauce ingredients plus adding 5 more cups of water into a large container.
- 5.Remove the salted cabbage and rinse well. Drain and squeeze excess water out.
- 6.Mix cabbage leaves with the sauce mixture. When all leaves have been lathered, place your new kimchi into an air-tight jar container. If you have quartered cabbage sections, place the stuffing mixture in between the leaves starting with the bottom leaf and work your way up. Repeat until you have used up all the filling. Pour remaining broth into the glass container.
- 7.Let sit at room temperature for a few days and then refrigerate. Enjoy with rice and other meals.
The Cookoliviajasonkim Madison, Wisconsin
- Not added to any groups yet!