Crabmeat Au GratinFrom angcurdy 9 years ago
- 1 pound FRESH jumbo lump crabmeat shopping list
- 1/4 pound butter shopping list
- 1 cup celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 tsp flour shopping list
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk shopping list
- 2 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne shopping list
- 1/4 tsp basil, chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy bottomed saute' pan melt buter over medium-high heat
- Add celery, onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Saute' until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- While vegetables are sauteing, whip egg yolks and evaporated milk until well blended, set aside.
- Sprinkle flour over seasoning mixture and blend well in the saute' pan to create a white roux. Do not brown.
- Using a wire whisk, add egg/milk mixture while stirring constantly to blend into roux mixture.
- Season to taste using salt, peppers, basil and thyme.
- Continue to blend, cooking 3-5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold 1/4 pound cheddar cheese into the white sauce mixture and blend until cheese is totally melted.
- Place cleaned crabmeat into a baking dish.
- Top with the cheese sauce, then sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Cover and bake until bubbly.
- Uncover and slightly brown the top of the casserole.