Budae Jjigae (korean Army Stew)From oliviajasonkim 4 years ago
- •1 can Spam, cut according to preference shopping list
- •3, 4 hot dogs shopping list
- •4, 5 strips bacon shopping list
- •1 instant ramen noodle (exclude sauce packet flavoring) shopping list
- •1 cup rice cakes (tteok) shopping list
- •1/2 yellow onion, thinly diced shopping list
- •2 tbsp gochujang (red pepper paste) shopping list
- •1 tbsp gochugaru (red pepper flake) shopping list
- •1, 2 garlic, minced shopping list
- •1 tbsp soy sauce shopping list
- •1 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- •5, 6 cups water shopping list
- •1 package firm tofu (optional) shopping list
- •1 scallion/green onion, thinly sliced (garnish) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Bring a large pot to a boil (about 6 cups of water) and place kimchi and sauce ingredients (gochujang, gochugaru, minced garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and diced onion). Boil for about 10 minutes to soften the kimchi and enrich the broth.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare the meats by cutting them into desired pieces. Add the pre-cut bacon and hot dog (Spam if available) and cook for another 10 minutes. Follow that with the instant ramen noodles and wait until noodles separate on their own.
- 3. When noodles have separated, taste the broth of the stew and regulate according to taste preference. This might be too spicy for some so reducing the red pepper paste and flakes or adding extra water will help alleviate this problem.
- 4. Serve immediately before noodles soften and set at the center of the table where everyone can help themselves, or plate individually into separate bowls. Eat with rice and banchan side dishes.
The Cookoliviajasonkim Madison, Wisconsin
- Not added to any groups yet!