Amish Chicken, Corn And Pepper SoupFrom tuilelaith 4 years ago
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups each celery, onions, and red peppers, diced in large chunks shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken stock (see note) shopping list
- 1 cup cooked chicken meat, dark and light, diced in large chunks shopping list
- 1 cup cooked corn (use fresh, frozen or canned) shopping list
- salt, white pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, optional shopping list
- 1/4 up Italian (flat-leaf) parsley for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Saute garlic, celery, onions and pepper in oil until onions are translucent.
- In a stockpot or large saucepan, heat chicken stock to boiling, and reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken, corn and vegetables to pot and let simmer 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cream, if desired, and stir.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if serving immediately.
- Serves 8.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with Jalapeno Corn Bread.
- NOTE: You can make stock from stewing chickens, carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, fresh thyme, garlic and crushed black peppercorns.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer tested the recipe with canned stock, with good results.