Braised Pomegranate Chicken With PistachiosFrom sm8085 1 year ago
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, or 4 chicken quarters shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- ½ tsp ground cardamom shopping list
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups pure pomegranate juice (unsweetened) shopping list
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped shopping list
- Salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- pomegranate seeds and chopped cilantro to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the chicken pieces. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the chicken well on both sides. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the oil in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic, cardamom, cinnamon and flour; cook, stirring continuously. Stir in the pomegranate juice, zest and lemon juice. Cook 2 minutes, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pan, spooning some of the sauce on top. Bring the liquid just to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Sprinkle with the nuts, cilantro and pomegranate seeds, and serve hot with rice.