Rye Sourdough Bread With Hazelnuts And WalnutsFrom alessioxvx 3 years ago
How to make it
- 1. ensure that your starter was refreshed the night before and is active and ready to be used
- 2. add the sugar to the starter and dissolve with the amount of water specified
- 3. add salt to the flour and mix to ensure it is evenly distributed
- 4. add the water/starter mix to the flour and incorporate in a bowl
- 5. transfer onto a floured surface and continue kneading until you have a smooth dough
- 6. place on a sheet of lightly oiled baking paper
- 7. cover with a damp tea towel and a dry one on top of the wet one
- 8. allow to rise for about 4 hours, then punch down and roll out with your hands
- 9. fold the edges four times ensuring that you press down well not to create big air pockets in the loaf
- 10. rise for another 4 to 5 hours until doubled in size
- 11. bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes
- 12. then turn upside down and bake for an additional 40 minutes until the bottom sounds hollow
- 13. allow to cool completely (best if overnight) before slicing
- NB: please note that these cooking times work for me, but you may have to adjust according to the type of oven you have, so keep an eye on your bread and check every half hour. both sides, top and bottom, should brown and have a good thick crust when they are ready. they will also sound hollow if tapped!
- To make your starter combine the following ingredients:
- 100g/3.5oz rye flour
- 100ml/3.5oz water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Store in a large glass container and place it in your food cupboard for 48 hours.
- Once this time has elapsed, refresh with 50g (1.7oz) rye flour and 50ml (1.7oz) of water and allow to rest for another 48 hours, after which you refresh again with the same quantities of the first feed and allow to rest for 24 hours. Then feed and allow to rest for 12 hours and feed again 12 hours later. Your starter should now be ready for use. Once used the first time, store it in the fridge and the night before you plan to use it, take it out and feed it again the 50g/1.7oz of water and flour.
The Cookalessioxvx London, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!