Rustic Rhubarb SquaresFrom jo_jo_ba 1 year ago
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 3.5 oz non-hydrogenated shortening shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp water shopping list
- 1 egg white, for glazing shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 3 cups diced rhubarb shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp crumbled dried pineapple sage leaves (optional) shopping list
- 2 tbsp thick cut rolled oats shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350F and generously grease an 8" square pan.
- In a coffee grinder, process the sugar to a fine powder. Add to a bowl with the flour and nutmeg.
- Add the shortening and blend with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly, then add the vanilla and water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press into the bottom of the pan and brush generously with the egg white.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven (leave oven on) and place into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, sugar, flour, and salt.
- Add rhubarb and pineapple sage and toss to incorporate completely. See Photo
- Spread evenly over the base and sprinkle with rolled oats.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then cover and chill at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.