Grandma Norton's Bread & Butter PicklesFrom twilightrose 2 years ago
- 4 quarts med sized (about 4 inch) cucumbers shopping list
- 1 1/2 C small white onion, sliced shopping list
- 2 Large garlic cloves shopping list
- 1/3 C pickling salt shopping list
- 2 trays ice cubes shopping list
- 4 1/2 C sugar or 990 grams shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp tumeric shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp celery seed shopping list
- 2 Tbs mustard seed shopping list
- 3 C white vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Wash Cucumbers with scrub brush. Soak in a basin or large stockpot filled with 1/4 C vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of salt, and cover with water. Let soak 25-30 min. After giving them a good swish with your hands. Rinse, and dry on a rack.
- Slice into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices, discard blossom ends.
- Add onions, garlic and salt, mix thouroughly. Cover with ice cubes, set in fridge 3 hours.
- Drain thouroughly and remove garlic.
- Combine sugar, spices, and vinegar- heat to a boil.
- Add drained cuke and onion slices, heat at least 5 more minutes.
- Pack hot pickles loosely into clean, hot, pint jars. To 1/2 inch of top, remove air bubbles. Wipe top of jar, wipe lid, adjust to fit with rings.
- Process in boiling water, 5 min. in New York (We are high altitude in Denver, I process mine 10 minutes)
- Start to count processing time as soon as the water RETURNS to a boil.
- Remove hot jars, place on newspaper to cool, upright, spaced apart with room to cool. Seals will go down.
- Yield: 7 pints
The Cooktwilightrose Denver/ Nederland♥, CO
- Not added to any groups yet!