Pasta & Eggplant CasseroleFrom oldinjun 1 year ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 2 large eggplants, ends removed sliced 1/4-inch thick lengthwise shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 pound penne pasta shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 pound ground beef shopping list
- 3/4 pound Italian pork sausage cut into bite size pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) marsala wine shopping list
- 1 cup (8 oz) frozen peas, thawed shopping list
- 26 oz jar of store-bought or homemade marinara sauce shopping list
- 2 cups (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 1 cup (8oz) grated pecorino romano cheese shopping list
- 1 cup (8 oz) ricotta shopping list
- 1 cup (8 oz) chopped fresh basil leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or pre-heat a gas or charcoal grill. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant until tender and colored with grill marks, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from and let it cool. Or place the eggplant slices on top of a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven until it turns golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until aldante’ stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse the pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, warm the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and pork, and brown the meat, breaking the beef into bite-sized pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the Marsala wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the peas and marinara sauce and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the pasta pot. Add the Pecorino Romano and ½ (8 oz) of the mozzarella, the basil, and return the cooked pasta to the pot and mix well. Add the ricotta and FOLD into the mixture. Do not over mix the ricotta.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a 5 quart casserole dish. Line the bottom of the casserole dish with the grilled eggplant. Fill the dish with the pasta mixture, pressing down to make sure the dish is filling up evenly. Add the remaining slices of eggplant on top to completely cover the casserole. Cover with the remaining (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese and bake the casserole until bubbly and the cheese has melted, about 30-45 minutes. Remove and let the casserole rest on the counter for 10-15 minutes until it sets up. Slice and serve.
The Cookoldinjun Pembroke Pines, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!