Texmex PieFrom psychickaraoke 2 years ago
- For the filling: shopping list
- 1 lb ground beef, venison, or pork shopping list
- 1.25 C beans shopping list
- 2 bell peppers shopping list
- 1/2 C salsa or other tomatoes shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1.5 tsp cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp oregano shopping list
- salt & chili powder to taste shopping list
- optional: 12 pickled jalapeno slices & a handful of cheese shreds or chunks shopping list
- For the crust: shopping list
- 1 C all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 C corn flour / meal shopping list
- pinch of salt shopping list
- 2/3 C lard, butter, or shortening shopping list
- 1/4 C water (more or less) shopping list
How to make it
- saute all filling ingredients together until meat is cooked. if you have some texmex style leftovers, use them instead!
- while this is cooking up and filling your home with lovely aromas (sorry if you're using leftovers!), make the pie crusts. the amounts given are for 2 full crusts because I don't mind having extra laying around. it freezes quite well.
- anyhow, combine flours and salt in large, preferably cold, bowl
- cut in very cold lard, butter, or shortening with pastry knife or fork until the bits are pea sized
- add water as needed to gather dough into a ball
- depending on how fast you work, you may need to chill the dough for a bit. if the fat source is melting, it will stick to the roller so don't rush it.
- preheat oven to 375
- roll the dough ball(s) out on a floured surface. I like to use corn flour because i enjoy the texture.
- once dough is desirable size and shape, fold in half, place in pie pan & unfold.
- from here you can decide if you would rather have no top crust, an entire top crust, or MY FAVORITE a lattice top. prepare the rest of your dough accordingly. you will have plenty!
- add filling
- top with pickled hot peppers and bits of cheese, if desired
- bake @ 375 for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden
- garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired
The Cookpsychickaraoke Athens, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!