Whole Wheat Bread BowlsFrom tuilelaith 2 years ago
- 2 cups lukewarm water shopping list
- 1/8 cup active dry yeast shopping list
- 2 tablespoons honey shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 3 cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten shopping list
How to make it
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add warm water, yeast, honey and olive oil, quickly mixing with a spoon.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes until yeast gets foamy. In a separate bowl, measure out flour and salt.
- Add in flour gradually with the mixer on low speed.
- Knead with the dough hook (I used the two lowest speeds for this) for 10-12 minutes, occasionally pulling the dough off with your hands and placing it back in the bowl.
- Remove dough from bowl (it will be sticky) and place it on a floured workspace.
- Knead it a few times by hand, adding a few sprinkles of flour until it's elastic and no longer super sticky.
- Oil a bowl with olive oil and place the bread in the bowl, flipping it to coat.
- Cover and set in a warm place (I set it on top of my oven, turned on) to rise for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- After 1.5 hours, punch down dough and form into a large round, using more flour if needed to decrease the stickiness again.
- Cut the round into 4 equal pieces and roll them into balls.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover and let rise for 20-30 more minutes.
- Take the dough balls and roll them into tighter balls again, then brush each with beaten egg.
- Gently score the top of each loaf, then bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool completely, then using a serrated knife, cut a round out of the middle and fill with soup!
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!