Korean Kalbi Jjim (spicy Braised Beef Short Ribs)From oliviajasonkim 4 years ago
- 2, 3 lbs beef short ribs shopping list
- 2 potatoes, cut into 2-inch balls (if possible) shopping list
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch balls (if possible) shopping list
- 7, 8 daechu (jujubes or dried dates) shopping list
- 1 bunch Japanese beech or enoki mushrooms (or shiitake) shopping list
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (or rice wine like mirin) shopping list
- 2 tbsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) shopping list
- 4 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 5 tbsp soy sauce shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp sesame oil shopping list
- 7, 8 bbam (chestnuts if available) shopping list
- 1 tbsp mulyeut (corn syrup) or honey shopping list
- sliced green onion (for garnish) shopping list
How to make it
- Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes to remove residual blood. (Optional step)
- In a large pot over high heat, place the beef short ribs with pieces of halved onions, whole garlic, and ginger pieces. Bring to a rapid boil for at least 20~30 minutes while removing scum from surface. When finished save about 2 cups of broth for later use, rinse the beef under cold water, and discard remaining greens and vegetables.
- When cool enough to handle, make slits or incisions in each short ribs. Remove or cut away excess fat (optional).
- Return the ribs to the pot with 2 cups of the beef broth and sauce ingredients, cooking for at least 1 hour on low heat. Add the golf ball sized potatoes, carrots, dried dates, and mushrooms with 15 minutes remaining and continue to simmer.
- Near the end of the hour when most of the broth has thickened or evaporated, add some mulyeot (corn syrup) or honey. The sauce should have a slight syrupy consistency.
- Serve on a large platter as main course. Garnish with green onion slices and enjoy with rice and banchan (side dishes).
The Cookoliviajasonkim Madison, Wisconsin
- Not added to any groups yet!