Homemade ButterFrom psychickaraoke 4 years ago
How to make it
- allow the cream to warm up to 55 degrees or so
- put cream in food processor or blender
- blend cream on high speed: first it will whip, the volume will roughly double. second, it will start to fall See Photo. you will see the volume decrease. finally, you will see the cream break and notice solid particles swirling around See Photo. turn your machine off.
- if that equipment isn't available, fill a container with a tight fitting lid no more than half way and shake shake shake! this method is a lot more fun for children but you may want to use a plastic container.
- once you have butter and skim milk (buttermilk if you started with sour or clabbered cream), you must strain and rinse the butter to extract as much milk as possible See Photo. this will help it keep longer.
- my favorite method is putting a muslin cloth (fine cheese cloth, pillow case works too!) in a strainer and pressing See Photo. once the majority of the milk is out, pick up the butter in the cloth and gently squish in under cold running water See Photo. the water will easily bind with the milk to help extraction. it's very important to keep the butter cold or you'll rinse the melted butter away too.
- try pressing your butter into molds. you can also add salt, honey, or herbs if you so choose.
The Cookpsychickaraoke Athens, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!