Braised Chicken With Winter Veggies In Cream SauceFrom lagoulue 4 years ago
- 1 whole 3-4 lb. chicken, skin removed and trimmed of excess fat shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 medium onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 large carrots, cut up into hearty chunks shopping list
- 2 thick, large celery stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks shopping list
- 4 -7 large cloves garlic, peeled (depending on your love for garlic) shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks shopping list
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- Optional: 1 medium parsley root, peeled and cut into chunks (reserving green tops for garnish) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 sprig tarragon and 2 sprigs thyme (fresh), or 1/2 tsp each, dried shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1TBSP flour shopping list
- parsley (from parsley root) or dill, for garnish shopping list
- Optional (and delicious!): 1 medium black radish, peeled and cut into chunks - just discovered this fine winter veggie, it's awesome. shopping list
How to make it
- Put butter in a pot or skillet deep enough to enclose the chicken. Turn heat to medium-high. When butter foams, add chicken (breast side down). Cook, checking that chicken does not stick and sprinkling with salt and pepper until nicely browned all over, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn and brown the back of the bird, sprinkling again with salt and pepper, about another 5-7 minutes. Remove to a plate and pour off excess fat.
- Add vegetables and herbs to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in stock and cream and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pot and adjust heat so mixture barely simmers. Cover and cook 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a warm platter.
- Remove 1/2 cup of liquid to a small bowl to cool (set in freezer for quick chilling).
- Stir 1 TBSP of flour into small cooled bowl of liquid
- Raise heat under pot. Stir in broth/flour mixture and cook liquid until it thickens and reduces, stirring occasionally, a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings; then carve chicken and serve, with garnish, vegetables and pass remaining sauce at the table.
The Cooklagoulue New York, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!