Pureed Broccoli SoupFrom twohot 11 months ago
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley shopping list
- 8 cups chopped broccoli (stems and florets) shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth (see Note) or vegetable broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in broccoli. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.
- TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “No-Chicken Broth,” it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
- Per serving: 69 calories; 4 g fat ( 1 g sat , 2 g mono ); 4 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 458 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Folate (21% dv).
The Cooktwohot Montreal, CANDADA
- Not added to any groups yet!