Snickers BarsFrom pmannion 4 years ago
- 640g nuts – peanuts work well. Or a mixture of almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts pistacchios (see note in intro) shopping list
- 2 large egg whites shopping list
- 280g honey shopping list
- 240g light corn syrup (or glucose syrup) shopping list
- 600g white sugar shopping list
- 75mL water shopping list
- rice paper to line baking dish shopping list
- 400g (1 can) sweetened condensed milk shopping list
- 2 tbsp golden syrup shopping list
- 60g butter shopping list
- 400g milk chocolate shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp smooth peanut butter shopping list
How to make it
- Lightly toast nuts in frying pan or in oven. Keep warm in oven (if using oven, just turn off oven until cooler <90ºC)
- Combine honey, corn syrup, sugar and water in saucepan. Use a pastry brush and water (addit.) to brush any sugar crystals from the side of the saucepan. As soon as sugar mixture comes to a boil, begin whipping egg whites.
- Beat egg whites with whisk attachment in standing electric mixer until firm peaks.
- When sugar mixture reaches 139ºC on sugar thermometer, pour syrup into whipped egg whites. Lower the mixer speed, and pour in a steady stream, carefully avoiding the beater. Suggest wearing long sleeves and a pair of safety goggles!
- Continue beating until the meringue begins to stiffen. Replace the whisk attachment with the paddle attachment.
- On low speed, add the nuts, mixing to just blend.
- Pour nougat into lined baking dish (if no rice paper available, dish may be lightly greased). Place a piece of non-stick baking paper over top of nougat and use hands to flatten and even out nougat. Leave nougat in baking dish to set. Once cool enough, place dish in freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Combine ingredients in saucepan over low to medium heat.
- Stir continuously until mixture as a lightly to medium brown in colour.
- Poor caramel over nougat. When cool, return to freezer for 20-30 min.
- Melt chocolate and peanut butter in bain marie or microwave. Stir until smooth, and spread over caramel layer. Place in fridge or freezer until set.
- To cut, place a knife under boiling water, or over gas stove top. Wipe knife clean after each cut.
The Cookpmannion Melbourne, Australia
- Not added to any groups yet!