Bacon JamFrom twill10 4 years ago
- bacon jam shopping list
- Adapted from Not Quite Nigella shopping list
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1 pound good quality smoked bacon shopping list
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha shopping list
- 1 cup coffee shopping list
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup shopping list
- fresh cracked black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika shopping list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- In a large, heavy pot cook the bacon in batches over medium high heat until it's lightly browned and just starting to crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, 10-12 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, slice the bacon into 1-inch strips.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the brown sugar, coffee, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer over low heat stirring every now and then to prevent sticking for 3-4 hours until you can no longer tell the onion from the bacon and it has a thick, jam-like consistency and deep rich brown color.
- Let cool for 20 minutes than transfer to a food processor. Pulse for several seconds to finely chop and blend the jam.
- Return to the pot. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the pot from the fridge and place on the stove. With a spoon, scoop the majority of the fat from the top of the jam. Turn the heat to low. Add the black pepper to taste, smoked paprika, and red wine vinegar. If you desire more heat, add another squirt of Sriracha. Cook for 45 minutes until almost all the liquid is evaporated.
- Let cool and place in a glass jar. Enjoy!
- Makes two 4-ounce jars of jam.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!