Purim Cookies Aka HamantaschenFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 2/3 cup margarine or butter at room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond shopping list
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose flour as needed shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- dash of salt shopping list
- Filling: jar or canned: poppy seed, prune, apricot, lemon or lime curd,etc shopping list
- optional: sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle over unbaked cookies shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the shortening with sugar.
- Add egg and continue creaming until smooth.
- Add the vanilla.
- Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt until a ball of dough is formed (a food processor is excellent for this).
- Chill for 2-3 hours, or overnight so its easy to roll and handle
- Take dough out of refrigerator, may let come to room temperature to soften a bit if needed.
- Taking 1/4 of the dough, roll out on a lightly floured board to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Cut circles of dough with a drinking glass or round cookie-cutter dipped in flour
- With your finger put moisten water around the rim of the circle of dough
- Fill with 1 teaspoon of desired filling and fold into three-cornered cookies.
- Press two sides together, and then fold the third side over and press the ends together
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired
- Bake on a well-greased cookie sheet 10-15 minutes, OR until the tops are golden.
- Remove to rack with spatula to let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
these are easy and deliciouscherihannah in Shickshinny loved it