Triple Cherry JamFrom jo_jo_ba 3 years ago
- 2 (14 oz) cans bing cherries in light syrup, drained (save 2/3 cup syrup) shopping list
- 340 g pitted fresh or frozen tart cherries shopping list
- 1 cup pineapple ground cherries (or regular ground cherries) shopping list
- 1/4 cup red wine shopping list
- 2 tsp lemon juice shopping list
- zest of 1 Meyer lemon (or 1/2 regular lemon) shopping list
- 2 tsp Pomona's calcium water (see below) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 2 tsp Pomona's pectin shopping list
How to make it
- Combine drained cherries, fresh or frozen cherries, ground cherries, red wine, lemon juice, lemon zest and calcium water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, mashing fruit with a potato masher or fork to break it into your desired consistency. See Photo
- Combine reserved syrup, sugar, salt and pectin in a measuring cup or bowl.
- Bring fruit to a boil and add the pectin mixture.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Ladle into jars and either can in a waterbath or store in the fridge up to 1 month.
- Pomona's comes with two packets - one of pectin and one of monocalcium phosphate. The calcium helps activate the pectin under low-sugar circumstances. To prepare calcium water mix the contents of the packet with 1/2 cup water in a jar and shake well. You only need 2-3 tsp per batch so store the rest in the jar in the fridge - it keeps a long time.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!