Old-fashioned Cream Cheese BarsFrom huminbrd56 4 years ago
- 1 box butter recipe cake mix,Duncan Hines has downsized, so check for the largest box in a good brand name shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 box confectioner's sugar shopping list
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 8 ounces Neufchatel, or low fat, cream cheese - you can use regular cream cheese if you like extra richness shopping list
- cooking spray shopping list
How to make it
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, one egg, the cake mix, and the butter.
- Press the mixture into a 10" x 15" glass pan. The mixture will be very sticky. I put a bit of confectioner's sugar on my spoon, and sprinkle it across the mixture as I press because it keeps the mixture from sticking to the spoon.
- In another bowl, mix together the confectioner's sugar, the vanilla, three eggs, and the cream cheese.
- Pour this mixture over the cake mixture in the pan and smooth the top with a large spoon.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake 45 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Place the pan on a baking rack to cool.
- A toothpick will not come out clean when this is done. It will continue cooking as it cools. If you wait until the toothpick comes out clean, it will be too dry.
- If you like a harder crust on top, you can put it in at 350 for the first 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 300 for another 40-50 minutes. Judge how done it is by the color, and you may also want to do this more than once to get it just the way you like it.
The Cookhuminbrd56 Concord, North Carolina
- Not added to any groups yet!