Slow Cooker Bbq RibsFrom mattdrew 3 years ago
- 1.5 tbsp sweet paprika (3tbsp) (I've also used mild smoked paprika with fantastic results) shopping list
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- S&P to taste shopping list
- 2 lbs pork (baby) back ribs - leave the membrane on the ribs to help hold them together shopping list
- 1 cup barbecue sauce shopping list
- vegetable oil spray. shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl, mix together paprika, brown sugar, cayenne and S&P. Rub this mixture all over both sides of your ribs well. Arrange ribs in the slow cooker by standing them up against the wall of the stoneware pot, thicker side down and meaty side against the pot. Pour barbecue sauce over the ribs, cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low (I did 7 hours and they were perfect).
- Now comes the only stove/oven work involved, we need to reduce the sauce and then brown the ribs under the broiler. These steps are what turn the ordinary into the extraordinary, so don't you dare skip them even if your ribs already look pretty good. Once the initial slow cooking is done, very carefully (as they are tennnnderrrrr) remove the ribs to a baking pan which you have lined with foil and put a rack on (like in my photo collage), bone side up. Set to the side. Skim any fat that has risen to the top and strain all of the remaining juices from the slow cooker through a mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Bring to boil and allow to simmer and reduce by about a third, approximately 15 minutes. Put your oven's broiler on to heat up and make sure that there is an oven rack about 10 inches below the broiler element. When the broiler is preheated, brush the ribs with sauce and broil for 3 or 4 minutes. Take them out and very carefully flip them over, brush with sauce and broil again, meat side up, for approximately 9 minutes, taking them out once or twice (I did only once because I forgot) to baste with more sauce. Serve any remaining sauce on the side with the ribs.
The Cookmattdrew West Des Moines, IA
- Not added to any groups yet!