Onion Soup W/red Onion Jam & Pickled ShallotsFrom shandy 5 months ago
- pickled Shallots: shopping list
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced into rounds shopping list
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 c. white wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 c. sugar shopping list
- red onion Jam: shopping list
- 1 T. olive oil shopping list
- 1 Med. red onion, thinly sliced (beautiful for color) shopping list
- Dash of salt shopping list
- 1/2 c. red wine (I used a heavy bodied red wine for a little added flavor) shopping list
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 T. sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1/2 star anise pod shopping list
- 1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/8 t. ground allspice shopping list
- white onion Soup: shopping list
- 1/4 c. olive oil shopping list
- 4 Large onions, thinly sliced (I used Walla Walla Sweets) shopping list
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 serrano chile, seeded, chopped shopping list
- 2 T. chopped, peeled ginger shopping list
- Dash of salt shopping list
- 1/2 c. dry white wine shopping list
- 1/2 c. mirin shopping list
- 1 c. heavy cream shopping list
- fontina toast and Assembly: shopping list
- 2 T. unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 slices broiche, quartered shopping list
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated shopping list
- 1 T. chopped fresh chives shopping list
How to make it
- 1) For Pickled Shallots: Place shallots in a small nonreactive bowl. Bring vinegars, sugar, and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over shallots; chill.
- 2) For Red Onion Jam: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5-7 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, red pepper flakes, and allspice. Bring to a boil, reduce hear, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is thickened and syrupy, 40-45 minutes.
- 3) For White Onion Soup: Hear oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, leek celery, garlic, chile, and ginger; season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until soft (do not let brown), 10-12 minutes.
- Add wine and mirin to pot, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Strain into a large bowl and stir in cream (thin with water, if needed); season with salt. Reheat soup in a clean pot.
- 4) For Fontina Toast and Assembly: Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bread until golden, about 3 minutes (you'll have 2 extra). Flip, top with cheese, cover, and cook until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Top toasts with pickled shallots and chives.
- ASSEMBLY: Spoon some jam into each bowl, pour soup around, and top with toasts and pickled shallots.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!