Simple Whole-wheat Sandwich BreadFrom hollyeats 1 year ago
- 3 ¼ cups stone-ground whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 1 cup regular white flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea salt if you have it) shopping list
- 1 packet or 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 cup hot water shopping list
- ¼ cup light or dark honey shopping list
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (unsweetened) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil (or melted and cooled butter) shopping list
How to make it
- In a stand mixer with the bread dough hook attached, combine whole-wheat flour, white flour, salt and yeast. Give it a few stirs to combine.
- In a 4-cup measuring cup, combine hot water (just off the boil) and honey; stir or whisk to combine well. Now add the evaporated milk and oil, and whisk again. This should bring your hot water to just the right temperature for the yeast dough. If it still seems too hot, wait a couple of minutes until it is "blood temperature".
- With the mixer running at very low speed, pour the liquid mixture gradually into the dry mixture until combined. Increase speed to medium-low and knead for 10-15 minutes, depending on your mixer (my Kitchenaid needs only 10-12 but if in doubt, do a little more), until the dough is pliable and relatively non-sticky.
- The amount of whole wheat in this recipe results in a dough which will not get as springy as a white-flour bread; so a little stickiness is in order, as long as you can tell the yeast is alive and has made the dough springy.
- Remove the dough hook, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise 45 min. - 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, form into a brick shape and place into a greased loaf pan. Grease the top lightly and cover again with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place 20-30 minutes or until bread has risen to 1" above pan. During the last 10 minutes, preheat your oven to 325°F/170°C.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until well-browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Cool on rack in pan 10 minutes and then turn out of pan to cool completely.
- Wrap in plastic wrap to store in fridge after completely cooled.
The Cookhollyeats Shaftesbury, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!