Seafood Gumbo RecipeFrom twill10 3 years ago
- Every year, on the second weekend in October, the world’s passionate gumbo-lovers gather to celebrate this delicious hearty soup at the World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off in New Iberia, Louisiana. Ninety-plus teams compete for the title of best gumbo in the world. Here is the winning seafood gumbo recipe from 2013. Recipe courtesy of Iberia Travel. shopping list
- Winning seafood Gumbo Recipe shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- •5 quarts water shopping list
- •1 quart shrimp stock shopping list
- •1 teaspoon of crab boil mix shopping list
- •1 ½ cups light oil-based roux (available prepared at grocery stores) shopping list
- •1 large can of tomatoes (mashed with juice) shopping list
- •1 8oz can of tomato sauce shopping list
- •1 or 2 large onions (chopped) shopping list
- •1 cup green onions (chopped) shopping list
- •2 or 3 stalks of celery (chopped) shopping list
- •½ cup parsley (chopped) shopping list
- •4 pounds raw Louisiana shrimp (peeled, de-veined and seasoned) shopping list
- •1 pound of Louisiana crabmeat shopping list
- •1 quart of Louisiana oysters with juice shopping list
- •(2) 1 pound containers of Louisiana crab fingers shopping list
- •Salt and red pepper to taste shopping list
- •rice (prepared) shopping list
How to make it
- Method of Preparation:
- Peel and de-vein shrimp. Put raw shrimp aside. In pot add shrimp peelings to 1 quart of water and boil 15 to 20 minutes. Remove peelings and throw away. Put stock to the side.
- Sauté onions and celery in roux until cooked. Add in can of tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, 5 quarts water, shrimp stock and crab boil. Cook 1 1/2 hours. Add shrimp, crabmeat, crab fingers and oysters with juice. Season to taste with salt and red pepper. Add green onions and parsley. Let boil until seafood is cooked (approximately 20 minutes).
- Serve over Louisiana rice and enjoy. Makes about 8 quarts.
- photo credit: Flickr/AviAdelman
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!