Cajun Maque Choux (Mock Shoe)From thenewagecook 9 months ago
- 2 cups of corn (thawed if using frozen) shopping list
- 1/2 cup of whole milk shopping list
- 1 small onion (diced) shopping list
- 1/2 red and 1/2 green bell peppers (seeded and diced) shopping list
- 1 medium tomato (seeded and diced-drained and rinsed if using canned) shopping list
- 1 celery stalk (ends trimmed, rinsed and diced) shopping list
- 3 scallions chopped (optional) shopping list
- 3 inch piece of each- Andouille and smoked sausage (small diced) shopping list
- 2-3 garlic cloves (crushed) shopping list
- 1 Tblsp of olive oil shopping list
- 1 Tblsp of butter shopping list
- 1 tsp of hot sauce (or to taste) shopping list
- cajun seasonings (to taste) any favorite brand or your own spices blend shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium pan, heat the butter and melt in the olive oil.
- Stir in the Andouille and smoked sausage, fry for about 2 minutes and stir in the garlic and sauté altogether for about 2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the onion, tomato, peppers, celery and scallions (if using) along with the corn and stir everything to combine.
- Once all is combined, season to taste, more seasoning depending on how "hot" you like it, and finally stir in the milk.
- Stir to combine and adjust the seasonings, add hot sauce, hot spices, etc...(you determine the heat).
- Cover and cook on a medium low heat, stirring checking occasionally until the mixture develops a creamy texture.
- NOTE- Cajun, Southern and as well as most of Caribbean Cuisine, are mostly done following your heart, or your "guts". (using a slang) :-)
- Meaning that as long as you keep close to the original recipe, some changes or exceptions and even substitutions can be made.
The Cookthenewagecook Miami, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!