Levain Bakery - Style Chocolate Chip CookiesFrom jo_jo_ba 1 year ago
- ½ cup cold, cubed salted butter shopping list
- ½ cup cold, cubed non-hydrogenated shortening shopping list
- 1 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- ½ cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 egg replacer (such as Ener-G or my egg-replacer.html">Homemade Ener G egg Replacer), prepared shopping list
- 1 tbsp vanilla shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat bread flour shopping list
- pinch nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- ¼ tsp baking soda shopping list
- ½ tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup large chocolate chips shopping list
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips shopping list
How to make it
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Beat the butter and shortening in a stand mixer on medium speed 1 minute, until it comes together in a mass.
- Add both sugars and continue to beat for another 1 to 2 minutes, until all of the sugar has been incorporated into the butter.
- Gradually add the egg, egg replacer and vanilla and continue beating on medium speed until mixed, scraping the sides of bowl once.
- Gradually add the flours, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt and beat in just until flour is incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Divide the dough into 12 even pieces, roughly shaping each into a ball (it should not be smooth).
- Place them on the baking sheet and freeze for at least 30 minutes (or freeze firm, transfer to an airtight container and freeze up to 4 months).
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake cookies “fresh” for 18 to 24 minutes, frozen solid for 20-28 minutes, or until light golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or frozen.
Note: These are AMAZING right out of the freezer, or used to make jumbo ice cream sandwiches