Lorraine's Beef Short RibsFrom champagnetime 3 months ago
- 4 lbs beef short ribs (I had a chuck roast that I cut in large chunks) shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 4 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 heads of garlic shopping list
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 3/4 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 2 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers, or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup each, molasses, soya sauce shopping list
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock or water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Trim fat from ribs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add ribs in single layer without crowding. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to large baking dish in single layer.
- Peel 1 head of garlic, chop cloves coarsely.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to same skillet over medium heat, add carrots, onions, and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened. 3-4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add wine, scraping up browned bits from skillet. Add vinegar, chipotle peppers, molasses, soya sauce, and stock or water. Bring to boil. Pour mixture over ribs in baking dish: they should be just covered. Cover tightly with foil or lid. Bake in oven about 2 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut enough off tops of remaining two heads of garlic to expose cloves. Place upright in small baking dish. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp oil. Place in oven, roast about 45 minutes or until soft. ( I do them in foil) When cool, squeeze out garlic, discarding skin.
- Transfer ribs to serving dish using slotted spoon. Keep warm. Pour cooking liquid into large skillet, skim fat from surface. Boil rapidly over high heat about 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in roasted garlic. Pour sauce over ribs.
- Serves 4-6.