Hawaiian Kahlua PorkFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using small sharp knife cut 1/4 inch deep slits 1 inch apart all over pork roast.
- Rub salt all over pork.
- Unfold 1 banana leaf on work surface and place pork roast atop leaf.
- Fold up leaf around pork enclosing completely.
- Repeat wrapping pork in remaining banana leaves 1 at a time.
- Tie with kitchen string to secure then wrap roast in foil.
- Place pork in roasting pan then pour 4 cups water into pan.
- Roast pork in oven until very tender when pierced with fork about 5 hours.
- Unwrap pork and cool slightly.
- Shred pork and place in large bowl.
- Bring remaining water and salt to boil in small saucepan.
- Add liquid smoke then pour over pork and stir to blend.
- Let stand 10 minutes
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
The Rating2 people
Great dish indeed! I've never tried it with bananas - I normally use cabbage in mine. Also, the traditional family recipe is Hawaiian salt, not sea salt. Lastly, it's Kalua Pig/Pork, Kahlua is a type of alcohol :) But great job !Kuulei in San Diego loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!