Roast TurkeyFrom gatorfan 8 years ago
- 1 (16 lb) frozen young turkey shopping list
- For the brine shopping list
- 1 c. of kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tbsp. of black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. of allspice berries shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. of candied ginger shopping list
- 1/2 c of light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 gallon of vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 gallon ice water shopping list
- For the aromatics shopping list
- 1 sliced red apple shopping list
- 1/2 c of sliced onion shopping list
- 4 sprigs of rosemary shopping list
- 6 leaves sage shopping list
- 1 c. of water shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- canola oil shopping list
How to make it
- First combine all the brine ingredients, except for the ice water, in a big pot and let this come to a boil.
- Now you want to stir dissolve solids, then remove from the flame.
- Let this cool to room temperature.
- Then refrigerate to chill.
- Now on the day of cooking, you can add the brine and ice water in a clean 5 gallon bucket.
- Now put yor thawed turkey breast side down in brine.
- Now add a lid to the turkey.
- Chill this in the refrigerate approx. for 6 hours.
- Then you can turn turkey over once, half way in the brining.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Then you can add the apple, onion, cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Now you can take turkey from brine and rinse inside and out with very cold water.
- Get rid of brine.
- Next you can put turkey on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- Then add in steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage.
- Now turn back back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.
- This needs to roast on lowest level of the oven at about 500 degrees for approx. 30 minutes.
- Then take from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil,
- A 14-16 pound turkey should require a approx. 2-2 1/2 hours of roasting.
- Make sure to let turkey rest, loosely covered for approx. 15 minutes before carving.
The Cookgatorfan Cape Coral, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!