Apricot Ice cream sandwiches and Rum Butter sauceFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 1 cup of heavy cream shopping list
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp of sugar shopping list
- 1 7 3/4 ounce of apricot puree shopping list
- 12 slices of pound cake 1/2 inch thick (I used a frozen Crunch cake and it was sublime) shopping list
- 1/2 cup of butter shopping list
- 3 tbsp of corn syrup shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of lightly packed brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup of dark rum (Captain Morgan's spiced rum is good) shopping list
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream, whipped for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Whip one cup of cream, fold in sugar, lemon juice and apricot puree.
- Arrange 4 to 6 slices of pound cake in an 8 inch square pan. Pour cream mixture over.
- Cover with remaining cake slices.
- Freeze overnight, (tightly covered)
- Cut in squares, 3 x 3. Wrap individually in foil wrap and keep frozen until serving time. (I love that thin foil wrap just for these)
- When ready to serve make the rum butter sauce. I doubled the sauce from the original recipe because I like a big pool of warm sauce under the frozen apricot sandwich.
- Melt buttter over fairly high temperature, add corn syrup and sugar, stirring until sugar is thouroughly dissolved. Add whipping cream and continue to stir until mixture reaches simmering point.
- Remove from heat, stir in rum. Return to heat.
- Reduce heat to very low and simmer 10 minutes. Pull off the heat and add extract. Allow to cool and thicken slightly.
- Pool a puddle of sauce on dessert plate, top with frozen apricot sandwich, drizzle top with a little extra sauce and top with extra whipped cream. Serve immediately.