Chicken BiryaniFrom nishant 6 years ago
- INGREDIENTS shopping list
- * 4 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- * 4 small potatoes, peeled and halved shopping list
- * 2 large onions, finely chopped shopping list
- * 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- * 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- * 2 tablespoons plain yogurt shopping list
- * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom shopping list
- * 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick shopping list
- * 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks shopping list
- * shopping list
- * 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- * 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- * 1 pinch powdered saffron shopping list
- * 5 pods cardamom shopping list
- * 3 whole cloves shopping list
- * 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- * 1 pound basmati rice shopping list
- * 4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a large skillet, in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee) fry potatoes until brown, drain and reserve the potatoes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.
- 2. When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.
- 3. Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
- 4. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (or ghee) and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
- 5. In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.
The Cooknishant Brno, CZ
The Rating5 people
Love the fact of dish is quick even there are lots of ingrediants. Have started to stock my pantry since reading Ambus' recipes and now yours. You need to upload more of your recipes :)
my heritage is CZ but born in USA and love to cook.ladilizbet in Cleveland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!