Poor-Boy Enchilada SauceFrom jayzee 6 years ago
- 1/4 cup lard, vegetable shortening, or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. granulated garlic shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (I use dried ancho chiles instead) shopping list
- 3 cups water or chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet, heat the lard to medium hot. Stir in the flour and continue stirring until it turns a very light brown. This will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all of the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly and blending the ingredients. Add the water or broth, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens, approximately 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add more water if needed to adjust the thickness to your preference.
- This keeps a week to 10 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container; it also keeps well in the freezer.