Beef StewFrom rrooster 6 years ago
- 2-3 lb. boneless chuck roast shopping list
- 5-6 medium potatoes, peeled or not (I prefer not) shopping list
- 4 large carrots, peeled or not shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion shopping list
- 5 medium garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock shopping list
- 3/4 cup cooking wine (marsala or sherry are good) shopping list
- 1/4 cup vinegar (red wine or balsamic) shopping list
- 1 tblsp. hot sauce shopping list
- a pinch of salt, maybe a tspn. shopping list
- a pinch of pepper shopping list
- 1 cup instant oatmeal shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a skillet over high heat.
- Put the chuck roast in the skillet (there should be enough fat/liquid in the roast, so no need for oil) and brown the roast 3-4 minutes per side.
- Once the roast is browned, set the meat aside for a few minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and the garlic.
- Move the garlic over to the skillet and brown in the remnants of the roast.
- Cut the carrots and potatoes and place them in a pot or crock-pot.
- Cut the chuck into bite-size chunks and place on top of the carrots and potatoes.
- Place the onions and garlic on top of the beef.
- Mix the broth, vinegar, cooking wine, hot sauce, salt and pepper then pour over the meat and vegetables. It should come up just below them (add a bit of water if it doesn't).
- Put the crock pot or stove-top on low and let the soup simmer for 5 hours or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the 1 cup of instant oatmeal and stir it into the soup.
- Let sit for 5 minutes so the oatmeal can thicken the broth.
- Serve and eat.
The Cookrrooster Philadelphia, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!