Savory Braised Cabbage and TomatoesFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 5 strips of thick cut smoked bacon, minced shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, finely sliced shopping list
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of dried savory shopping list
- 3 tablespoons of butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of flour shopping list
- 1 cup of chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup of white wine shopping list
- 4 fresh tomatoes, sliced into eighths shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree (I buy it in the tube and keep it in the refrigerator for just this purpose, when I only need a tablespoon and I don't want to open those little cans.) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley for last minute garnish shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
- parmesan cheese for last minute sprinkling. shopping list
How to make it
- Saute bacon until crisp, remove to paper towels. Remove most of the bacon fat from the pan, reserve 2 tbsp. Add onions and saute until soft and limp.
- Add chopped cabbage, garlic, herbs, bacon, butter and flour. Keep stirring lightly to blend and wilt the cabbage.
- Add stock and wine.
- Cover and simmer until the cabbage is nearly tender.
- Add tomatoes and puree. Simmer another 10 minutes until all is tender and toothsome.
- Put in serving dish, dollop with sour cream, spinkle with parsley.
- Serve parmesan on the side and let guests add if they want.