Shepherds Pie With Sweet Potato TopFrom lorenzo2004 9 years ago
- 1lb (450g) lamb mince shopping list
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, chopped into little cubes shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, crushed shopping list
- 2 cups (1 pint) beef stock shopping list
- 1 14oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 4 medium sweet potatoes shopping list
- 1oz (30g) butter shopping list
- a generous pinch of plain/general purpose flour shopping list
- a generous pinch of dried rosemary shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
How to make it
- In a large frying pan, heat up a small drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat and fry the onion and carrot for 3 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and garlic and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add the minced lamb, and fry for 5 minutes, stirring thoroughly to break up the mince and get it cooking evenly.
- At this point, it is a good idea to spoon off and discard some of the fat that will have been released from the lamb. Not all of it, mind you... fat equals flavour!
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring to break up the tomatoes.
- Add the flour, rosemary and bay leaf, and then the stock. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Most of the liquid should go, leaving quite a thick, rich gravy. Check the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Boil for 8-10 minutes, until tender. Drain, and then mash with the butter. Season.
- Spoon the lamb into a baking dish (remove the bay leaf), and smooth the sweet potato mash over the top.
- Bake in an oven heated to 180c (gas mark 4) for 30 minutes.
The Cooklorenzo2004 Cardiff, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!