Simple Lahori Chicken Curry With Onion and TomatoFrom chefmeow 9 years ago
- 4 pound chicken cut into 10 pieces and skinned shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 medium onions roughly diced shopping list
- 5 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 inches fresh ginger peeled and cut in half crosswise shopping list
- 3 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- 2 inches cinnamon stick shopping list
- 12 green cardamom pods shopping list
- 9 whole cloves shopping list
- 9 black peppercorns shopping list
- 2 large tomatoes chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1/4 cup yogurt whisked until smooth shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon shopping list
How to make it
- Combine chicken, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir to coat chicken with the spices.
- Let stand while you make the sauce.
- Finely mince onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons oil, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and peppercorns in a large casserole over medium high heat.
- Cook stirring until the cinnamon unfurls 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add minced onion mixture and 1 teaspoon salt and cook stirring for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard cinnamon and stir in remaining turmeric and cayenne.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook stirring 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth then set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and cook stirring 2 minutes.
- Add yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time stirring well after each addition.
- Cook stirring 2 minutes to evaporate some of the moisture.
- Add pureed tomato mixture and bring to a boil then stir in the water.
- Return to a boil then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir and scrape bottom of the pan every 5 to 8 minutes to keep the sauce from sticking.
- Uncover and cook 5 more minutes to reduce and thicken sauce.
- Stir in cilantro and lemon juice then serve hot.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!