Parton Family Black Raspberry PieFrom julesong 5 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place one of the unbaked pie shells in a lightly oiled pie plate.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, and salt.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the raspberries with orange juice and the sugar/flour/salt mix. Black raspberries are fragile, so be careful or you’ll break them up.
- Place the pie filling in the unbaked pie shell in the pie plate, heaping them in the center. Put the top crust on, fold the edges under, and crimp them with your fingers or a fork to seal the edges. Prick the top crust to let some of the heat and juices escape – it’s fun to do this in a decorative way!
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes until done.
- Sweep the top of the crust with milk and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. In the beginning of the cookbook, Willadeene says “Sweeping the top of rolls or biscuits with milk or butter means brushing the top with these ingredients.”.
- Note: one of the great things about simple recipes is that you can easily experiment with them. You could put things like dots of butter and cinnamon in this pie, for instance. Have fun! :).