Braised Pot RoastFrom korkee1 6 years ago
- 4 1/2 pound boneless chuck roast shopping list
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided shopping list
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 2 tsp dried rosemary crushed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock or low-sodium canned beef broth shopping list
- 12 ounces cola soda shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 2 TBLS corn starch shopping list
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. shopping list
How to make it
- Season the roast well on all sides with 2 teaspoons of the salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary.
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the roast and cook until very well browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the beef stock and cola and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. Add the tomato paste and stir to blend. The liquid should be about 1/2 way up the sides of the roast. Cover the Dutch oven, place in oven, and roast until the meat is fork-tender, about 3 hours, turning the meat every hour and adding extra water if necessary to keep the liquid level at about 1/3 up the sides of the roast.
- When the meat is fork-tender, remove the roast from the oven and carefully transfer the roast to a serving platter. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- Skim off as much of the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid as possible. Remove ¼ cup cooking liquid, add corn starch. Stir to make a smooth paste. Slowly whisk this mixture into the hot cooking liquid that remains in the Dutch oven and place over high heat on the stovetop. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. . Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve the roast with the hot gravy.
The Cookkorkee1 Fort Worth, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!