Chicken and rice casseroleFrom momofonesofar 9 years ago
- 1/4 cup margarine (1/2 a stick) shopping list
- 1/3 cup flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 cup strong chicken broth (make with 2 bouillon cubes) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 cups cooked rice (leftovers are great) shopping list
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken or turkey shopping list
- 4 oz can mushrooms, drained shopping list
- 1 cup frozen peas shopping list
- 2 oz jar pimiento (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- First you need to make a white sauce. Use a 3-quart saucepan to make it because you will use the sauce pan to combine all of the ingredients later. So, melt the margarine in the saucepan over medium heat. When it is melted, stir in the flour. Whisk it until it is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add the chicken broth and the milk. I use real chicken broth if I have it, other wise I just add a cup of water, and a couple of bouillon cubes. Stir this as you cook it over medium heat. A whisk works really good for preventing any lumps. When the sauce is thick and boiling, allow it to boil for a full minute. Remove it from the heat. Add the rice, chicken, mushrooms, peas and pimiento, if you are using it. Stir it all up really good. Turn the mixture into a well oiled 2-1/2 quart casserole. Sprinkle the almonds or other nuts on top. Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes. It should be hot and bubbly throughout. If desired, sprinkle with chopped parsley, fresh or dried, right before serving.
- The almonds or nuts could be replaced with cracker crumbs and small dots of margarine, if you wanted something crunchy on top, without the cost of nuts.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- momofonesofar SC
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmomofonesofar SC
- Not added to any groups yet!