Beef Barley SoupFrom joobie 5 years ago
- 1lb beef shanks shopping list
- 1 cup barley shopping list
- 3 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1lb carrots shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1lb red potatoes shopping list
- 1 cup green beans shopping list
- 1 cup corn shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp basil shopping list
- note: you could really add anything here you wanted, lima beans or the like. shopping list
How to make it
- Season the beef shank and brown on each side. Set aside.
- Sautée onions until soft. 5 minutes or so.
- Add stock and 4-5 cups water, along with carrots and the tomatoes. Add spices. Bring to a boil and lower to simmer. I would leave it simmering for at least 2-3 hours.
- Prepare barley; add potatoes, green beans and corn.
- Pull apart beef shank into nice bite-sized pieces.
- Check to make sure potatoes are done. This should take in the neighborhood of 30-45 minutes.
- When barley is finished, drain and add to soup.
The Cookjoobie Philadelphia, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!