Cheese FondueFrom mystic_river1 6 years ago
- /2 pound Swiss-style cheese such as Jarlsberg or Emmenthaler, shredded shopping list
- 1/2 pound gruyere cheese, shredded shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved crosswise shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- Pinch nutmeg shopping list
- Assorted dippers - cubed ham (skip for vegetarian option), blanched broccoli, carrots, or cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, chopped green bell peppers, cubed French bread (skip for wheat-free version), peeled and chopped apples or pears shopping list
- Special equipment recommended shopping list
- A fondue pot shopping list
How to make it
- Place the shredded cheese and cornstarch in a plastic freezer bag. Seal, shake to coat the cheese with cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- Rub the inside of a 4-quart pot with the garlic, then discard.
- Over medium heat, add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Gradually stir the cheese into the wine.
- Stir constantly in a zig-zag pattern to prevent the cheese from seizing and balling up.
- Cook until the cheese is just melted and creamy.
- Do not let boil.
- Once smooth, stir in kirsch, mustard and nutmeg.
- Transfer the cheese to a fondue serving pot, set over a flame to keep warm. I
- If your pot is thin-bottomed, a lit candle will probably do. If thick-bottomed, you can use a small Sterno.
- Arrange an assortment of bite-sized dipping foods on a lazy Susan around fondue pot.
- Spear dipping foods with fondue forks or wooden skewers. Dip to coat with the cheese, and eat.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
A ^5 for sure! I adore Fondue!:)noir in Boston loved it
Made this last night for New Years Eve (2009). One of the best I've ever made and will be my new standard.tristar in Topton loved it
YUMiamcharmed in Orlando loved it