Artichoke and Spinach DipFrom irishjc 9 years ago
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese (about 2 ounces) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onions shopping list
- 1 (10-ounce) bag of fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic shopping list
- 2 cans of artichoke hearts, chopped shopping list
- salt (cayenne is optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Preheat the fryer.
- Combine the vegetable oil and flour, in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly for 5 to 6 minutes for a blond roux.
- Whisk in the milk and bring the liquid up to a boil.
- Season the liquid with salt (and cayenne, which is optional but I've never used it).
- Simmer the liquid for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Set the sauce aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat some more vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in handfuls of spinach at a time, until all the spinach is incorporated.
- Add the garlic and artichoke and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Season the vegetables with salt and cayenne. Remove the vegetables from the heat and turn into a mixing bowl.
- Fold the Béchamel sauce (the cheese sauce) into the vegetables.
- Turn the mixture into a baking pan (optional - sprinkle the top with Parmesean cheese).
- Bake the dip for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve with your choice of snack ... Tostitos are great, as are baby carrots. You can also cube some Pumpernickel bread to dip ... or, hollow out a loaf to make a bread bowl and put the dip inside.