Easy Beef StroganoffFrom worthyopponent 9 years ago
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 pound of any cut of beef, ground or sliced into long, thin strips shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or onions shopping list
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup shopping list
- 2 cans of water shopping list
- dash garlic powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon shopping list
- 1/2 cup pearled barley shopping list
- 1/2 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt at room temperature (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large skillet or stockpot on medium heat. Brown the beef in the butter.
- Cook the shallots or onions until softened, making sure they soak up plenty of juice from the meat.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the soup and water to the skillet, stirring to smooth.
- Add barley and all spices.
- Cover and simmer at least ten minutes -- more time will soften cheaper cuts of meat and intensify the flavor.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream or yogurt, let stand five minutes. It's best served over egg noodles, but you could also serve it over just about anything else.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookworthyopponent Minneapolis, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!