cornish game hen with double-cranberry and thyme sauceFrom andah 6 years ago
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided shopping list
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar shopping list
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided shopping list
- 1 1 1/2- to 1 3/4-pound Cornish game hen, halved, backbone removed, rinsed, patted dry shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup white grape juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrate, thawed shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Blend 2 tablespoons butter, sugar, and 2 teaspoons thyme in small bowl. Sprinkle hen halves with salt and pepper. Spread skin of each with half of butter mixture. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add hen halves, skin side down. Sear until deep brown, about 4 minutes. Turn, skin side up, and sear 1 minute. Remove from heat. Transfer hen halves, skin side up, to small rimmed baking sheet. Reserve skillet (mixture will be dark). Roast hen halves until cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with fork, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon flour in small bowl. Add broth, grape juice, cranberry concentrate, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to reserved skillet. Boil until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, whisking often, about 7 minutes. Whisk in flour mixture and cranberries. Simmer until sauce coats spoon, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer hen halves to plates. Spoon sauce over and serve.