Roast TurkeyFrom dreadpirateroberts 8 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325
- Start with a fresh turkey!
- Wash in cool water, make sure to remove all the teensy pin feathers
- Line roasting rack with salt pork
- Place turkey breast down on the salt pork
- Season the bird to taste (a little of each, easy on the salt)
- Place loose foil tent over bird
- Roast for 1/2 of the time recommended on the package
- This is the important part...
- Remove bird from oven
- Protect your hands with wads of paper towels and then flip the bird over
- It should now be breast up in the pan
- Brush with melted butter (be generous - I mean how often are you going to roast a turkey? Now is not the time to count calories)
- Season to taste
- Put it back in the oven without the foil
- Roast until a thermometer reads 165 degrees
- Turn off oven, let sit for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and let stand before carving
- The salt pork will keep the breast from sticking and by roasting it for half the time upside down it keeps the breast meat moist.
- Most places that sell turkeys will tell you it has to reach 180 degrees but that is not necessary - it will produce a dry, dry bird.
- As long as it's not pink it's done!
- Let me know if you try my method and the results you get!
The Cookdreadpirateroberts Denver, CO
- Not added to any groups yet!