Banana Flax-Bran MuffinsFrom joyinabasket 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark) shopping list
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed shopping list
- 1/4 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup applesauce shopping list
- 3 Tbs. ground flax seed shopping list
- 1/2 cup raisins shopping list
- 1 tsp. real vanilla shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 finely grated carrot shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup wheat bran(all-bran cereal works well) shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts(or nuts of choice) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a muffin pan or line with muffin liners (I use jumbo pans and liners).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add mashed bananas, milk, vanilla, raisins, applesauce, grated carrot and eggs; mix well. Dump in bran so it can soften.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, flax seeds, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to wet ingredients, just mixing until blended. Stir in nuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups of choice. (I use the jumbo muffin liners and I always double the recipe!)
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Cool and serve.
- I thought the butter, applesauce and flax seeds might be too much "oil," but they come out really moist without greasiness. You can reduce the butter by 1/4 cup if you choose to add the flax seeds and applesauce, if you want less "oil."