Cranberry Apple Dumplings with Crimson SauceFrom watson2167 7 years ago
- Sauce shopping list
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup orange juice or water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons red cinnamon candies shopping list
- Pastry shopping list
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening shopping list
- 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water shopping list
- apples shopping list
- 4 small cooking apples (each about 3 inches in diameter), peeled and cored shopping list
- 4 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1 egg, slightly beaten shopping list
- Additional sugar, if desired shopping list
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease bottom of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, or large cookie sheet with shortening. In 1-quart saucepan, heat cranberry sauce, orange juice and candies over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot and candies are melted; remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, cut shortening into flour and salt, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary). Roll pastry into rectangle, 18x16 inches. Cut pastry into four 8-inch squares, using pastry cutter or knife. Cut leaves from remaining 2-inch piece of pastry, using small leaf-shape cutter, pastry cutter or knife.
- Place apple on each pastry square. Spoon 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce mixture into center of each apple. Sprinkle each apple with 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Moisten corners of pastry squares. Bring 2 opposite corners of pastry up over apple; pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining corners; pinch edges of pastry to seal. Decorate with pastry leaves. Place dumplings in pan. Brush with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Garnish each dumpling with mint leaf. Serve warm with remaining sauce mixture.
The Cookwatson2167 Las Vegas, NV
- Not added to any groups yet!