Candied Butternut SquashFrom peetabear 7 years ago
How to make it
- cut the neck of the squash starting at the stem end cutting 1 inch slices.
- cut down to the seed cavity. don't cut any further.. save this part of the squash to make another meal (maybe stuffed squash)
- stack the slices and cut off the rind
- cut each round into 1 inch squares or as close as possible
- fill an ungreased roasting pan.. (I use an open roaster) with a single layer of squash as tightly as they will fit
- next add as many walnuts as you like ( I add lots)
- next sprinkle with lots of brown sugar..I fill all the crevices and a lot on the top..but not so much as to cover the squash
- then dot the top with butter... I add approx teaspoon every 2-3 inches
- add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan (couple of TBSP depending on the size of the pan) cover pan with foil
- put in a 350'F oven for approx 45 mins maybe a little longer. you want the squash to be almost cooked but not quite.
- next cover the top of the squash with a thick layer of marshmallows
- cover the top back up with the foil. let the marshmallows puff up and then dissolve into the squash.. 10 mins or so..
- this took longer to explain than it does to do.. It's really a very easy recipe.. adjust amounts of sugar and nuts to your taste.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating1 people
This sounds fabulous Peeta! I will make it tomorrow at my parents. Yesterday I bought a gorgeous butternut squash at the market and didn't know exactly what do to with it. Thank you for sharing! :)
*5*gourmetana in London loved it