Italian Mixed-Nut TorteFrom hollyeats 7 years ago
- Crust: 2 scant cups fine flour shopping list
- 2 Tbs. sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbs. cold butter (ONLY butter!) shopping list
- Dash salt shopping list
- Filling: 2 Tbs. honey shopping list
- 3 Tbs. butter shopping list
- Scant 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup each whole unsalted almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and pecans shopping list
- (you can substitute other nuts, including pine nuts. Total should be 2 cups, best skinless) shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Working quickly with a pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until it's mealy.
- Working with your hands, work in the butter just until dough holds together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill while preparing Filling.
- Heat honey, butter and sugar together in deep saucepan, stirring, until all melts and comes to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium, add the nuts and pour over the cream.
- Stir together and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the filling has thickened just a bit.; don't let it get too caramelized.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Press dough evenly into a 10-inch round tart pan, pushing the edges up.
- Pour filling into tart pan, spread evenly, and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until the edges are browned and the filling is bubbly and golden, about 30-35 min.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Do not cut until fully cooled.
- Best if aged a few days, covered in a cool place, before serving.