Smoky Southwestern Veal ChopsFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 6 loin veal chops trimmed of fat and edges scored shopping list
- 2 chipotle chilies shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 dried arbol chili shopping list
- 1 dried anaheim chili shopping list
- 1 ancho chili shopping list
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion chopped shopping list
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro tough stems removed and leaves chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup veal or chicken stock warmed shopping list
- 1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Place veal chops and chipotle chilies in a storage container or large sealable plastic bag.
- Pour in enough milk just to cover the meat.
- Cover the container or seal the bag securely.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- Discard the milk and chilies then rinse the chops and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Using tongs pass arbol, Anaheim and ancho chilies, one at a time over a flame to toast briefly.
- Be careful not to blacken them.
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the toasted chilies with 1 teaspoon salt until coarsely crushed.
- Rub mixture onto both sides of each chop and set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat warm the oil.
- Brown chops turning once about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic and onion.
- Cook stirring often until they begin to soften about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Transfer onion mixture to a baking dish large enough to hold the chops in a single layer.
- Place chops along with any accumulated juices on the onions and pour stock around the meat.
- Roast until the chops are tender and the juices run clear about 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile place a small dry fry pan over high heat.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds with a pinch of salt shaking the pan constantly for 4 minutes.
- Transfer seeds to paper towels and set aside.
- When chops are ready transfer them and the onions to a warmed platter.
- Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!